Friday, April 20, 2007

but the second one is so much sweeter...

Today's experiment came to me via The Dye Pot's beautiful Citrine Curry. As soon as I saw that colorway, I had to try to duplicate it.

Can you tell what's wrong with this picture? I bought the last three packages of easter egg dyes (on clearance - cha-ching!) and none of them contained an orange tablet. Instead I used a yellow in one container, a red in another and then 1/2 a red and 1/2 a yellow in the third. I threw in a little strawberry KoolAid and a few drops of food coloring (red or yellow, depending) just for good measure. I loved the colors in the jars!

I set it to boil and then backed it off a little. The color stuck very quickly but I was concerned about all the white. I was hoping the colors would wick up into the fibers a little more and cover some of the white with lighter shades. No such luck. So I rearranged the yarn a little - slipping it out of this jar and into that one - and so on.

I knew as soon as I saw this mess of yarn in my sink that I would adore this yarn! Now I just have to come up with a fitting project...












Decisions, decisions...

What will I do next??

No comments: