Sunday, April 29, 2007

firecracker, watermelon and a big blue mess

How did I spend my Saturday? Not cleaning... no. Did I use the time to play with my kids? Well, a little.

No. I spent the majority of my day dyeing yarn. Not even knitting anymore - I'm totally obsessed with dyeing. I finally got my shipment of superwash wool from ebay and had to use those colors that were swirling around in my head.

Here's what I came up with...

This was a rather unsuccessful attempt at doing a variegated yarn in my crockpot. Apparently superwash wool really soaks up color so I didn't end up with a whole lot of blue on the lighter end of the spectrum. It was supposed to be a more gradual change between the white and the darkest blue.

I'd like to try this method again with some alterations. Maybe dying some pink and rose using two different dyes. We'll see...









Now this is a mistake that turned out well in the end. I had sugarplum dreams of a hot pink and lime green together - a watermelon colorway. When I mixed up the "pink" it was far more red than I was expecting! So instead of using lime green, I grabbed some blue Kool Aid and here's the end result.

These two hanks are going to be knitted up into some very special presents for some very special people, but that will have to remain a secret for now!

And here is the colorway that was dancing in my head. Behold the watermelon wool!

No comments: